Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Tips for friends and familly members.

I found these tips through another adoptive mothers blog and a lot of these tips hit really close to home for Brett and I. I hope you take time to read this so you can be more understanding of your loved ones in their hard times. Here is how you can be supporative of your friends or family members struggling with infertility.

1). Couples who deal with infertility are seeing specialist including doctors. I think something that can become very frustrating is when EVERYONE has a solution to an easy conception or on how to deal with it. If advice is asked for, then that is different. I think the safest route is to not offer advice unless it has been asked for. There are other ways to support your friends… by listening, offering a hug, asking how they are doing and realizing that they may need some space at times. Don’t be offended if they just can’t talk about it at that point. They may be at a point where they are trying to still internalize their situation. Now I want to incorporate a list of things not to say. Please keep in mind that every infertile couple has their limits and will feel pain with different comments.

Here are a couple things you should not say to an infertile couple:

*Why haven’t you started your family yet?

*Just change your diet and you will get pregnant.

* You should do this fast or that cleanse.

*You should stop worrying about it then it will happen.

*Have you tried praying about it?

* You should stand on your head after intercourse.

*You should enjoy this time alone as a couple, because once kids come along it changes your whole marriage.

*Oh don’t worry about it, you are still so young.

*You think your busy now, wait until you have kids.

*You’ll understand when you have kids.

*And with certain infertility medications your weight will fluctuate, and I personally have had people comment on me gaining weight. This is not something you should add to a infertile couple.

*Also it is good to realize that infertile couples go through grieving periods which may consist of; anger, fear, sadness, jealousy, guilt (for adoptive couples), pain, confusion, anxiety/panic, depression, preoccupation, loneliness, despair, helplessness, envy, and some may even feel bitterness. These are all normal feelings. Allow them time to work through these emotions without passing judgment on them. Most couples will experience a variety of emotions all at the same time including the above emotions along with-hopeful, excitement, peace, anticipation etc… It definitely is a roller coaster. Try to be patient.

Here are things you should not say to an adopting couple:

* I am excited for you to adopt, but I am still sad you won’t get to feel the baby growing inside you.

*Adoption is almost as exciting as having your own. (To us it is just as exciting, or even more so because we have had to wait so long and the spiritual aspects that come through adoption are amazing!)

*What if you get an ugly kid?

*Everyone offers the scares of open adoption. (We are continually educated on the risks of adoption)

*Don’t assume that birth mothers are on drugs or are questionable individuals.

*Where is your baby’s real mom? (I am his real Mom)

*Lucky you, you won’t have to worry about the recovery time. You will just get to take the kid home and move on. (There are many emotions that a couple has to work through after the miracle babies arrive)

*Try not to ask this question too often: Do you think she (Birth mom) will change her mind? It is always a fear, but something adoptive couples shouldn’t dwell on. We know the risk when we decide on adoption. Now realize this one is case by case. If you are close friends, this may be an o.k. question.

4 comments:

  1. This was great! Thanks! I'm going to borrow it from you! Thanks for passing it along! I hope to drop a hint or two with this to some of my family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you posted this. Lindsey and I always tried to be very careful because we knew what a long and difficult journey this has been and we saw how insensitive some people were towards you. I just hope we never said anything that was less than 100% supportive. I know that being a young married couple in the LDS church has a lot of pressures associated with it as well. Lindsey and I were trying to wait until we were more prepared before we started trying, but after we had been married for about 4 months, you would have thought we had a sign on our chest that said "Ask me why we aren't pregnant". I got on our nerves and we WEREN'T trying, so I cant imagine the frustration you and Brett dealt with. But I'm happy that you guys don't have to think about that anymore for the time being. You are both wonderful parents and you have a beautiful baby, so enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't imagine anybody saying that stuff. But then some people are ignorant.
    ANyways, I just had to say sawyer is too cute! He's gettin so chubby. Those little cheeks and his chubby hands. I LOVE chubby baby hands :) He's such a precious little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog and your little boy is so cute!! We are also in the midst of an open adoption...I am in the room next to our birthmother, in her house, and she is due any day! My blog is private but email me if you'd like to read!
    So excited for our little boy to join the world...we are just overjoyed!

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Background