Monday, October 19, 2009

Adoption Story Part III- Getting ready for Baby!

We soon found out that the baby was going to be a BOY!!! We were so excited. We could now call him a he instead of baby. Now he just needed a name. We narrowed it down to Jonas, Sawyer, and Liam. We wanted his birth parents to pick his middle name if they would like to. A name is something that stays with you forever so we wanted his name to have a beautiful meaning behind it from his birth parents and adopted parents. Brett and I experimented each name a different day to see what just seemed to fit the best. We finally agreed that Sawyer would be his name. We both always liked the name and we liked that it was kind of unique. His birth parents thought long and hard about what name they were going to pick for his middle name. Finally they came up with JONUS. It was a name that we were considering to name him only spelled differently. Jonus is a mixture of letters from both their names. I thought that was cute and clever.
The first thing we bought baby Sawyer was a huge 5ft stuffed giraffe. Brett and I have always been animal lovers so we wanted his room to be an African Safari theme. His room was so fun decorating. We didn't want anything too cutesie either. I took a pen to paper and started to do some sketches. I wanted some stimulating colors with artistic flair. I got my design and just started painting away.  It was so different being able to shop for baby stuff for ourselves this time. I didn't even know where to begin. We bought a crib and put it together the second we got it. I ordered his bedding and made his little bed and put extra pillows under his bed for the dogs to lay on. It took us about a month to get his room all done and when it was finished we were so excited. His book shelves are full of books and toys just ready to be put to use. Brett and I go in there sometimes and just sit with the dogs for no reason. 
Sawyer's birth mother is so wonderful about making me feel like I am experiencing the pregnancy with her. She tells me about his hiccups and tries to describe what they felt like. She told me about how when he heard certian music or when she would read to him he would be really still like he was trying to listen. She would send me pictures of her pregnant belly and tell me how she was feeling at different times. Her and I talk often and she tells me about things going on in her life. What is really weird is that my body started changing with hers. I think her hormones were rubbing off on me. My mind is telling my body that something is about to happen. I really enjoy talking to her and everytime I do it just makes my day. It's definately a perk to having an open adoption.

2 comments:

  1. You guys are incredible! I knew you had gone through some trials with having kids, but I didn't know the details - thank you for sharing. We look forward to meeting little Sawyer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story. We are thrilled for you guys. Little boys are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Background